Thursday, April 4, 2019

How to Pull Weeds

How to Pull Weeds

Some of my friends state that I am a little insane due to the fact that I like doing yard work. Although it is a lot like household chores (never totally completed), there is a great deal of satisfaction in ignoring a flower bed after having rid it of weeds and letting the plants that we really wish to see program through. Naturally, if it is refrained from doing on a consistent basis, the weeds really do get the edge. Then, instead of caring backyard work, I find myself wishing for an easy way to produce the outcome I yearn for. As of yet, I have not discovered a weed killer that will discriminate between what I want and what I do not want, so I am the one who needs to make the judgment and pull out the unwanted development one by one.


As I operate in my flower beds, I typically assess the fact that Jesus provided many illustrations using seeds, trees, fruit, plants, sowing, pruning and reaping. As a result of the fall, the ground was cursed and work ended up being an effort instead of a delight (Genesis 3:17 -19). There remains, however, the charm of God's production all around us. If we are fortunate adequate to have the stewardship of a plot of earth in which we can plant and reap, then we partner with God in His garden business.


In my garden, I have experienced a range of weeds. A few of them have a single root. If that weed is pulled out by the root, wonderful! If not, it will come back. Others have complicated root systems that make them beside impossible to pull out. They need to be removed. In those cases, I remember that the Lord said that He was going to leave the tares and the wheat to grow together, and do the weeding at the end of time (Matthew 13). Sometimes I make a similar choice. I will deal with those weeds again and again in order to save the excellent plants that are growing near to them.


The task of weeding reminds me of sin. Perhaps you, like me, have found that weeding, like ridding your life of sin, includes the following.


oWeeding is backbreaking work. If I do not remain alert and "hoped up," sin keeps coming back. If I do not keep up with the weeding, the weeds surpass the garden. Alertness is the crucial!


oIt helps if the weeds can be brought up by the roots. If possible, it is best to stop sin at its source. For instance, my nature is to panic and be fearful of unidentified circumstances. That is the opposite of faith. When fear raises its ugly head in my life, I have to go back to the fundamentals: relying on God! As my spouse states, "Worry and faith can not occupy the exact same area."


oSometimes I need help. The task of weeding is a bit frustrating sometimes, especially considering that my husband and I travel much of the year. Sometimes my other half, a good friend or a next-door neighbor will sit with me and help me take out weeds. Also, an accountability partner can typically observe a location that is displeasing to God that I have neglected.


oWeeding is simpler if the soil is soft or wet. If you ever tried to pull weeds in hard, dry soil, you know how difficult it can be. Likewise, it is much easier to get rid of sin when it is fresh and recognizable as sin. The longer sin is delegated harden in our lives, the harder it is to remove.


I started this article by discussing just how much I like to see new growth and flowers in my garden. That is how I wish to end it also. Weeding, both in my garden and in my life, is well worth it.

As I observe the flowers in my garden, I am reminded that a garden is not simply one flower. It is many flowers. You and I belong to a huge garden that God has planted.


Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment